The ability to write well is more important to the field of healthcare than many students realise. No matter their area of specialisation, healthcare professionals are required to do good deal of fast, accurate writing on a regular basis. Although essay writing may seem like a world away from the practical side of your training, it is vital that you are able to demonstrate a clear academic understanding of healthcare theory and practice in writing. The advice below provides some essential pointers for how to go about it.
Avoid Common Pitfalls
When lecturers and tutors are asked to cite the most common weaknesses in student essays, they often converge upon the same list of points. To write a good healthcare essay, you should do your best to avoid them. They are:
- failing to answer the precise question that has been set;
- writing in a journalistic rather than academic style;
- making unsubstantiated claims or generalisations;
- excessive summarising;
- lack of appreciation of theoretical controversies; and
- insufficient critical analysis and evaluation.
Some key points to keep in mind when writing your university essays are as follows:
- Begin by outlining what you are going to say, how you will structure your arguments, and what evidence you will draw upon to substantiate your claims. This requires setting an early deadline for your first draft, leaving ample time for revisions and improvements later.
- Choose a clear, descriptive title. It should be as succinct as possible, yet grab readers' attention and inform them of what your paper is about.
- Make sure your reading is always guided by the essay title or question in order to produce focused notes.
- Only include in the essay what is relevant to answering the question, and do not try to pad it out with tangential or irrelevant information.
- Your introductory paragraph should clearly state your understanding of the question or core thesis and outline the structure of the essay to follow.
- Divide your essay into sections and subsections which reflect the structure of your discussion and help the reader to navigate through the essay. Each section should be divided into paragraphs, with each paragraph devoted to a single claim that builds upon that which precedes it.
- Use plain language to make your points and avoid convoluted sentences.
- Ensure that each step in the argument is clearly signposted so that the reader is never left wondering why a given point is being made.
- Always substantiate your claims with judicious use of relevant evidence. Sources should always be examined critically rather than simply taken at face value.
- Demonstrate awareness of different points of view, and be sure to anticipate counter-objections to your claims.
- Do not introduce new material into your conclusion but succinctly summarise your arguments and demonstrate how you have answered the question.
- Carefully proof-read, revise and edit your work (or have somebody else do it for you) to ensure correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Be sure to format and reference your essay in accordance with your department's preferred specifications before submitting it.
Consult an Expert
If you want to learn how to write a healthcare essay that will get you the grade you want, there is no better way than to consult an academic expert in the subject. At Essay Writing Service UK we will assign to you an academic expert who will be able to assist you with every aspect of your essay, from first draft to final submission.
To find out how Essay Writing Service UK can help you with your healthcare essay, take a look at our essay writing page. If you are looking for help with a dissertation, we have a variety of solutions available to assist you, from a dissertation proposal to the conclusion.
How Can I Order?
It's really simple to place an order with Essay Writing Service UK. Simply place the order online by clicking here, or alternatively feel free to call one of our consultants who can take your order over the phone on 0203 011 0100.